Monday, March 7, 2011

Skelebones and Moneypockets

My 3 year old says the most amazing things.  Most 3 year olds do.  The greatest part about him saying these wondrous things is that some of the terms he comes up with make perfect sense.

I'll never forget the first "made up" word that came out of his mouth.  The gym that I go to has those candy donation bowls where you donate 25 cents and you can pick one of the (very chewy, deliciously stale) candies.  Of-course, like any normal child Adrian is drawn to those bowls of yumminess like a moth to a flame.  Much to my dismay.  Saying no to a 2 or 3 year old in public is like going to combat without your armor on.

You know you're being judged for how you handle the battle.  At least in your own house you can give a time out or simply just ignore the freak out.  Not so easy to do when all eyes are on you in a public place.

I quickly figured out that telling him I don't have any money with me satisfied him....although he still asks every time "Mommy....do you have your moneypocket?"  How brilliant is that?  Moneypocket! Not a "real" word but it sure makes sense.  Of-course sometimes not having your moneypocket can backfire. Like the time when my 2.5 year old decided to take matters into his own hands.  Literally.  After leaving the gym and buckling him and Fin in the truck, he decided to show me his special treat.  I had a 2.5 year old criminal on my hands!  Back into the gym we went to return the stolen goodies and apologize.  I'm happy to say another crime hasn't happened since!

We went to the Children's Museum a few weeks ago with my Mum. They have quite the display of dinosaur skeletons which he was very impressed with.  Of-course to Adrian, these aren't merely skeletons...these are "skelebones".

Again, my child pulls a made up word out of his bright little mind that makes perfect sense.

It's when your child starts to imitate you that it gets really entertaining..... and a little scary.  Going through the Tim Horton's drive-thru my son is known to yell from the back seat as I'm ordering "I'D LIKE A LARGE COFFEE PLEASE!".

Well, at least he has manners.

Occasionally, he'll come up to me and ask me if I'd like a glass of wine or his dad if he'd like a beer.  (okay, okay this might not be something I should be admitting to but the precocious way he says it is too much)

When you ask him about what day something happened it's always on a "Fursday".

He never just wants one or two or even three of something such as a cookie or cracker...it's always "I'd like 1,2,3,4 please".

If he's doing something such as a puzzle that he can't quite figure out he'll mutter under his breath "What the heck?"

I let it go.  It's a lot better than some other words I can think of.

There have been a few times when I may have been preoccupied as he's asked me something upon which he'll say loudly "Mummy! Mum!  Do you hear what I'm saying?!  Yes or no?!"  Yikes.  I'm not sure I like the sounds of that.

Other times he blows me away with random facts at the most random times.  Like the time I was wiping his butt (sorry for the visual but this is part of my job) and he asks me if I knew what a mackerel was...then proceeds to inform me that it's a fish.  He learned this from my Dad 3 months before and it happened to pop in his little mind at that particular point.  3 year old minds work in mysterious ways.

It's times when I listen to him talking to Finley when he's being fussy, in a very sweet high pitched voice   Adrian will tell him "It's okay little buddy.  You're okay"  Or he'll sing to him "Twinkle, twinkle little star" Melts my heart.  Hearing him call Riley "Baby girl".... soooo incredibly sweet.

Lately it's all about making up entire words rather than taking existing words and melding them together as earlier described.

He likes to remove the vacuum tube attachments from the back of the vacuum to play superheroes.  The other day he told us as he put it down to "make sure that Finley doesn't touch his 'kram'"....today it was a 'fedgit'.  I cannot wait to hear more.  If only we could bottle up the imaginations of 3 year olds.

When he sees anyone that looks sad or upset on t.v. or in a book he will tell me quite frankly  "They miss their Mommy and Daddy"  That makes perfect sense doesn't it?....because at his age aren't we their whole world?

On the topic of worlds, yesterday we went for a walk and Adrian stopped to play in a pile of snow.  After a few minutes we asked him to catch up to us.  As I looked back at him standing on top of the snowbank he calls out:
"This is my world to stay in!"

Now if that isn't a profound sentence especially coming from a 3 year old, I don't know what is.

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Absolutely adorable story. Thank you for sharing it.