Thursday, October 20, 2011

Out of the mouth of my 3 year old

My son Adrian.  He's is a pretty funny kid, he is.

He's always been advanced in the language department.  I don't remember much babbling coming from him besides when he was a baby, baby.  There was a short period of time around a year that he sounded like he may have picked up some Arabic from the woman that took care of him mixed with a little bit of Spanish from his obsessive Dora stage.  But after a few months he seemed to simply start speaking in full (English) sentences.

Even when he started saying words, he was very good at enunciating.  He made sure every single syllable was said perfectly.  The only 'flaw' in his speech so far is a slight lisp when he says his 's's.  And quite frankly, it's the most adorable thing ever....I make him say the word sassafras at least half a dozen times a day.  Because it just makes me smile.

Anyway.

Basically, what I'm trying to say here is that my child is a genius.

Okay.  So now that I've got that out of the way, not only is he a genius, he says some pretty radical stuff too.  I've mentioned some herehere and here.

But those are just a few.  I've taken notes once in a while when he says something that blows my mind at such a young age.  He's 3 years and 8 months, but most of which I'm going to share with you have been over the past year...starting before his 3rd birthday.  Some things he says are funny, some are cute, some are pretty darn heart melting and some...are just plain outrageous.

On dinosaurs:  "I love dinosaurs.  They're my favourite.  They make me howl."

On great ideas:  "Mumma, we should put our pj's on and make popcorn and watch Toy Story when we get all cozy comfy on the couch.  Isn't that a great idea?"

On getting irritated at him for not listening at the grocery store: "You need to calm down young lady!"

On calling my husband 'love', he turned to me and said, "I thought I was your love!"  I told him I was a lucky lady because I have 3.

On being a big brother:  As he helped Finley put on his rubber boots he gave him a hug and said, "I love you Finley. You're my best friend."


As he sat beside his little brother eating dinner he exclaimed, "Finley, look at you!  You're eating like a champ!"

Calling down the stairs as I washed up the dishes after lunch, "Mumma, Finley and I are just upstairs if you need us okay?"  Now this one threw me for a loop.  Properly placed pronouns and all...how old is he again?

On taking care of me:  "Mumma, if you hurt your knees or your shoulder or your elbow, I'll kiss it better for you."

Walking through the woods this past chilly week-end he asked me if I was cold because I wasn't wearing any mittens.  I told him I was a little chilly but I'd be fine.  He took my hand between his mitten clad ones and rubbing them over mine said, "It's okay, Mumma.  I'll keep you warm."

On announcing that his bladder or bowels must be emptied (it's a compulsion of his and I have no idea why but he feels the need to tell us every.single.time. he has to go poo or pee):  "I have to go poo.  Can you get me something to read?"

He must also be in the know when I am going to the washroom too.  Whether we're in the safety of our home or embarrassingly at a public washroom.  "Mumma, are you going pee or poo?"

On the sounds of a near empty squeeze bottle:  Laughing hysterically, "Mumma!  The ketchup just farted!"

And perhaps one of the most random things he's ever done and said was this:

"Mumma, look at my hands...they're little orphans."
I have no idea.  Really.  I wish I did.  Or not.

So there you have it my friends.  Just a little peek into the world I live in with Adrian.  It's always full of surprises, laughs and a lot of love.

1 comment:

middle child said...

Little ones have the most amazing things to say. We can learn so much from them.
I applaud you for listening to him. Too many parents don't pay attention to their children and they miss so much.